The Promise of Molecular Imprinting...
What is molecular imprinting...
forming an imprint of a specific molecule
via plastics beads,
a cast of
tailor-made polymeric media*.
removing contaminants during manufacture:
- fungal poison aflatoxin - in food processing
- during purification of optical isomers
- removal of unwanted substances in blood
- removal of cholesterol from solutions
- as enzyme substitutes (active sites)
- as sensors to sniff out toxins/pathogens
detected so far in lab:
herbicide) & sarin gas